Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Remembering Papa Arthur

Arthur Brown Tamula 
January 11, 1932 - January 26, 2013


Today is my grandfather's 40th day.

It is a Filipino Catholic belief that the soul wanders the earth for 40 days after death. This is a belief rooted in Christ's resurrection on Easter Day and his ascension to Heaven. Just like Jesus Christ, finally after 40 days, we say goodbye to Papa Arthur. He has now crossed over to eternal life in Heaven with God and my grandmother, Mama Babe. 

To celebrate his ascension to heaven, I would want to share with everyone my short eulogy for my lolo on the day of his funeral: 

"You are all here to honor and remember a man who to you may be a friend, boss, land lord, benefactor, brother, cousin or father. But to me, he is Papa Arthur. 

I remember him as a child when we would spend summer vacations in Kolambugan. Early in the morning, he would always be in his office watching the people in his store from his one-way mirror. I would go to his office and he would greet me with a warm smile and big hug. Then at the end of the day, in the rare moments he would join us in the music room to watch a movie, he would be snoring even before the movie began. 

That is my Papa Arthur, a simple man who is very easy to love. He has helped so many people with his generosity not just with his resources but also with his love, affection, friendship and time. 

Papa, you will always be in our hearts. I am proud to be the granddaughter of Arthur Tamula. Thank you for being our Papa. We love you." 

Weep not for me though I am gone into that gentle night.  
Grieve if you will, but not for long upon my soul's sweet flight.
I am at peace; my soul's at rest there is no need for tears.
For with your love I was so blessed for all those many years.
There is no pain; I suffer not, the fear now all is gone.
Put now these things out of your thoughts, in your memory I live on.

Remember not my fight for breath, remember not the strife.

Please do not dwell upon my death, but celebrate my life."
 - unknown

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...